While this may be a shock for some to hear, there actually are some insects that will help your garden grow. Different pollinator insects and ladybugs can turn an “ok” garden into something that is actually quite vibrant. Garden lovers and enthusiasts are creating bug hotels in their yards in order to bring in these beneficial bugs so they can get these very benefits.
In this article, we’ve broken down how you can create your own garden bug hotel so that your garden and lawn can look as amazing as possible.
- Wood or Pallets
- Thin Shingles
- Prunings, Sticks, Straws, Bricks, Old Pieces of Wood
- Hollow Stems
- Make the walls to the hotel. You’ll do this by connecting 4 pieces of the wood planks or pallets. You will overlap them so that they form a square or house shape.
- Drill 2 screws into each connecting side of the wood planks with the screwdriver to hold them in place
- After all 4 walls are in place, add the backplate wood plank to keep everything enclosed.
- Next, add the thin shingles to the roof of the hotel using the tacks. This will make sure that no water affects the hotel itself during the rainy seasons
- Now that you have the outline set up, next will be to create the bedding. Here, you’ll include the straws, sticks, prunings, and old pieces of wood so that it completely fills the hotel. The bugs will use this as their stay before going about their day
- Drill 2 holes at the top of the backplate and tie a string through. Then hang it in a dry undisturbed part of the yard, ideally around shrubs and trees
And with that, there you have it! Here, you’ll have a quick and easy bug hotel that will result in a thriving garden and a beautiful home.
Check out the Video tutorial: